- 1 head of red or green leaf lettuce, OR you may use baby spinach
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (glazed or plain)
- Poppyseed Dressing - The kind we use is made by Maple Groves of Vermont or Lighthouse or see recipe below
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- sliced grilled chicken
Arrange washed & dried lettuce or spinach on a plate (use approximately 3 cups). Then top with washed & 1 cup of sliced strawberries, 1 cup of blueberries, 2 Tbsp poppy seed dressing, and 1/4 cup walnuts. If you want a little bit more staying power, add 1/2 a sliced cucumber and about 3 ounces sliced chicken.
If you want to make this less carborific, lessen the fruit amount to 1/2 cup each, and add cucumbers, use light dressing, and add the chicken.
For a homemade version of Poppyseed Dressing, try this:
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons Greek vanilla or plain yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet white wine (optional)
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ tablespoon water
- 2-3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Saute the shallot in the butter over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the shallot is very soft and fragrant.
- In a food processor, place the yogurt, mayonnaise, olive oil, wine, vinegar, sugar, and the sauteed shallots. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust as necessary. Add the water to adjust the consistency if it needs to be thinned. Stir in the poppy seeds and just like that, you’re good to go! Don’t forget to keep it refrigerated.
Makes about 1 cup of dressing. Nutrition information is for one serving (about 3 tablespoons).
Source for dressing: http://pinchofyum.com/homemade-poppy-seed-dressing